In July 2014 the National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) and the Industrial
Development Corporation (IDC) announced the launch of an Emerging Black
Filmmakers Transformation Fund (EBFTF), which provides filmmakers who have
released fewer than five feature films, with R4.5 million per film for production
and R500 000 for marketing respectively. The two institutions are calling for
proposals from filmmakers and producers for the first phase of EBFTF, which will
launch with a pilot film.
The initiative is aimed at boosting the local film industry and ensuring filmmakers
and producers create compelling content for South African consumption. EBFTF
will provide financial, marketing and other related support to emerging black
The aim of the pilot is to refine the process from selection through to contracting
and releasing of the film. Applications will close at midnight on Friday 19
September 2014 and must be submitted via email to to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IDC and NFVF are calling for a two-page concept document for a fiction feature
film based on the following criteria:
– Total production budget to be capped at R4.5 million
– Writer and director must be black
– Black producer must own minimum of 51% of production company
(Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of ownership in the
production company as well as a valid Tax Clearance Certificate)
– Concepts must be for theatrical release (Please note that only concepts
that have scripts, already at a second draft stage, will be considered)
– Cast must be made up of local artists
Successful applicants will be invited to pitch their concepts at a date and venue
to be communicated after the completion of the selection process.
Applications must include the following:
– 2 page concept document outlining: genre, target market, logline and
– Biographies and CVs of key production team: producer, director, writer
– One page budget summary
– Late entries will not be considered.
– Projects that do not have developed scripts will not be considered.
– Budgets that are above the fund amount of R4.5 million will not be
Enquiries must be emailed to email@example.com.