With the brisk winter weather upon us, people will be huddled up in front of their televisions to spend a cosy night indoors. To start off TV season, here are 24 interesting facts about television from around the world.
- A recent Samsung survey found that it isn’t reality TV or soaps that make us most likely to tune in, but documentaries1, with 41 per cent claiming it is their favourite TV genre.
- Based on the above, it is probably no surprise that Blue Planet II is currently the most watched show of 2017, peaking with 14.1 million viewers2.
- In Australia, the iconic State of the Origin rugby match between Queensland and New South Wales drew in the most viewers of 2017 to date with 4.1 million people3.
- Whilst in China, it’s an internet-based “rap reality” show pulling in the viewers. The Rap of China showcase young and feisty contestants hoping for their big break into the world of hip-hop, with more than 2.5 billion views to date4
- Back in the UK, Only Fools & Horses was voted the most popular sitcom of all time in Samsung’s poll.
- Strictly Come Dancing beat off some stiff competition when it came to the best reality or talent show.
- When it comes to those in front of the camera, the USA is home to some of the best paid stars of television. According to Forbes, Dr Phil is currently the highest paid presenter in the world earning a reported $79 million (R1, 1 billion).
- Sofia Vergara is reportedly the highest paid television actress at $41.5 million (R582.2 million).
- And, Kim Kardashian’s business empire means she is the highest paid reality star with a reported fortune of $51 million (R715.5 million).
- Behind the camera, Netflix hit The Crown is the most expensive of all time, costing $130 million (R1.8 billion) to produce5.
- In South Africa this year, MultiChoice added subscribers to its growing base, bringing the combined closing base (digital terrestrial television and satellite) to 11.9 million households6.
- According to a MyBroadband survey of 1,587 IT professionals and tech-savvy individuals in South Africa, 73.85 per cent of respondents said they were an online pirate, while 51.17 per cent of respondents said they subscribed to a media streaming service7.
- This survey also showed that Netflix was by far the most popular streaming service in the country, with 84.85 per cent of users signed up for a Netflix package.
- Of those in this survey who did not subscribe to a streaming service, their primary reasons were: All my media needs are taken care of thanks to piracy – 42.27 per cent; I can’t afford it – 38.08 per cent; and my internet connection at home is too slow – 37.53 per cent.
- Of the respondents in this survey who did subscribe to a streaming service, 31.65 per cent said they also subscribed to DStv.
- American TV show M*A*S*H takes the crown for the most-watched episode ever, with 103 million viewers tuning in for the final ever installment7.
- Samsung’s recent survey also shows we’re watching more television than ever, with a fifth of us claiming to watch more TV now than we did five years ago thanks to on-demand technology and viewer’s appetite for binge-watching.
- Game of Thrones was voted in the survey as being the most-bingeable show of all8.
- Game of Thrones also hit the top spot when it came to the most hotly anticipated TV show return
- Size matters; Samsung research shows that 40 inches was the average TV screen size globally in 2016.
- 25 per cent of TVs sold in 2016 had a 50-inch screen.
- 90 per cent claim they would like a screen which is 60 inches big.
- To date, Samsung has sold 427 million televisions around the world.
- Which all makes for a lot of telly watching! Approximately eight years in our lifetime!9.
According to the Broadcast Research Council of South Africa10, the most-watched shows for April were:
|Most-Watched TV Shows in SA in April 2018|
|Channel and Day||Show||Viewers|
|Mon 23 April||Uzalo||9289705|
|Tue 17 April||Generations: The Legacy||8927752|
|Tue 17 April||Skeem Saam||7851561|
|Tue 03 April||Muvhango||5536114|
|Wed 11 April||491 Days Book Launch||3031734|
|Wed 11 April||7de Laan Soap||2852458|
|Tue 10 April||Isidingo: The Need||948254|
|Mon 02 April||Sunfoil Test Series: South Africa vs Aust||884253|
|Mon 30 April||Tropika Island of Treasure||783033|
|Mon 16 April||Scandal||5480679|
|Mon 16 April||Rhythm City||4249611|
|Fri 06 April||Just for Laughs Gags||3769236|
|DStv (Mzansi Magic)|
|Thur 19 April||The Queen||1493373|
|Sun 22 April||Our Perfect Wedding||1248130|
|Sun 29 April||Abomama||1090747|
- Samsung survey conducted amongst 2 000 adults in the UK by OnePoll, November 2017