M-Net channel 101 has announced that it is launching a brand new local wildlife series titled The Wild Ones. The proudly South African series, which covers a variety of ecological topics, will debut on the channel on Sunday, 6 May at 15h00.
Produced by Homebrew Films, which has previously created numerous wildlife series for both local and international distributors, The Wild Ones comprises 13 episodes and will take viewers on a never-before-seen journey predominantly focused on wildlife stories from within South Africa’s beautiful borders.
“The content covered The Wild Ones is not simply of a wildlife documentary nature; this series tells exquisite stories that will move and uplift our viewers every week,” explains M-Net’s director of Channels Jan du Plessis. “In partnering with the experienced team at Homebrew Films, we are bringing more top-quality, heart-warming local content to M-Net’s Sunday offering.”
The Wild Ones comes as M-Net continues to expand and broaden its local productions slate. It is the first local wildlife show acquired by M-Net in over a decade. The series will include some emotionally-charged and inspirational episodes set in a local rhino sanctuary before taking a deep dive into the magical and mysterious world of marine life. There will also be episodes dedicated to bigger beasts, friends that fly as well as other success stories from special wildlife initiatives across Africa.
The premiere episode on Sunday, 6 May is a once-off special focusing on all the exotic, weird and dangerous inhabitants of the islands surrounding El Nido in the Palawan province of the Philippines – the same location where M-Net filmed its 6th season of Survivor SA earlier this year. Viewers can thus expect a tantalising glimpse into the types of creepy crawlies that the South African castaways would have been on high alert for during the show which premieres in the same week on Thursday, 3 May.
The Wild Ones episode roll-out is as follows:
- Episode 1: The wildlife of El Nido, Philippines
- Episode 2: The rhino orphanage: ‘Needy and Greedy’
- Episode 3: The rhino orphanage: ‘Return to the Wild’
- Episode 4: The rhino orphanage: ‘New Arrivals’
- Episode 5: Aquarium: An Aquatic Life – ‘Inner workings of the Two Oceans Aquarium’
- Episode 6: Aquarium: An Aquatic Life – ‘Weird and Wonderful’
- Episode 7: Aquarium: An Aquatic Life – ‘Penguin Posse’
- Episode 8: Aquarium: An Aquatic Life – ‘Turtle Tales’
- Episode 9: Aquarium: An Aquatic Life – ‘Return of the Sharks’
- Episode 10: Wild and Alive: ‘De Hoop Place of Hope’
- Episode 11: Wild and Alive: ‘Season’s Feast’
- Episode 12: Wild and Alive: ‘Giants’ Migration’
- Episode 13: Wild and Alive: ‘Rhino Rescue Cote d’Ivoire’