MK, the youth music channel broadcast on DStv that comprises 30% international music and 70% South African music, recently commissioned 10 local music videos as a way of investing in the South African music and production industry.
The top 10 MK Music Video Project (MVP) bands were showcased at launches held in Johannesburg and Cape Town on 9 and 10 November respectively. These were selected out of 196 pitches by the MK panel to reflect a balance of both established artists and newcomers.
Each pitch was awarded R55,000 to produce a superior quality, creative music video and behind the scenes footage for one of the bands’ as yet un-filmed tracks.
The top 10 videos showcased were:
· Jack Parow, Tussen Stasies submitted by Ten10 Films
· Foto na Dans, Die Vloed submitted by Admit One Productions
· The Cavalier, Kiss and Tell submitted by Tough Sunday Productions
· Will Mono ft. Jax Panik, Ken My Nie submitted by Foml Films
· Thieve ft. Die Heuwels Fantasties, Way To Go submitted by The African Attachment
· MC, Earl & Algemi, Dakskroef submitted by Blixem Productions
· Heroes Wear Red, Bring Me Love submitted by Mannequin Pictures
· Winterstasie, Los My submitted by The Magic Factory
· 4am, Steering Ships submitted by Unleashed
· CrashCarBurn, Long Live Tonight submitted by 7Films
Says Victor Edward Eckard, Head of Content at MK: “MVP was created to expose the wealth of talent that the South African music industry has to offer. Congratulations to all the artists and production companies for putting together these amazing videos. We hope to grow this project and if the quality of the videos we received is anything to go by, we can look forward to some interesting and powerful collaborations and of course, exceptional content in 2011.’