At the Apollo Film Festival held in the Karoo town of Victoria West over the weekend of 22 and 23 September, Gustav Kuhn’s sensitive script for Ouma se Slim Kind won the Audience Award.
The Apollo Film Festival is the showcase for new and upcoming filmmakers and the award for Most Promising New Director went to Brett Melvill-Smith for his stunning work in Tracks. Tracks deals with a male prostitute and his dysfunctional father, examining them as people and breaking stereotypes.
Considerately Killing Me won Best Film for Newcomers and at its first screening the audience applauded non stop at the end of the film.
Here follows a list of the award winners in all the categories:
1. Best Actress : Leleti Khhumalo – Faith’s Corner
2. Best Actor : Presley Chweneyagae – Tsotsi
3. Best Cinematography : Lance Gewer – Beat the Drum and Tsotsi
4. Best Script : Gustaf Kuhn – Ouma se slim Kind
5. Best Director : Darrel James Roodt – Faith’s Corner
6. Best Film : Faith’s Corner
7. Best Professional Short Film : Face Value
8. Best Short Film Newcomer Section : Considerately Killing me
9. Most Promising Newcomer : Brett Melvill-Smith
10. Youth Jury Award Best Film : Beat the Drum
11 Best Documentary : The Mothers House
12. Audience Award : Ouma se slim Kind