The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF), an agency of the Department of Sports, Arts, and Culture, the custodians of the South African Film and Television Awards (SAFTAs) recently announced the call for local production companies to submit their entries for the 14th annual SAFTAs.
The announcement was made at the recent NFVF Media Day which took place at the Capital Empire Hotel in Sandton on 15 October.
Established in 2006, the primary objective of the South African Film and Television Awards is to honour, celebrate, promote and reward the creativity, quality, and excellence of South African Film and Television talent and content, and to encourage entrepreneurship and the development of new talent within the industry.
NFVF CEO Makhosazana Khanyile, who was the keynote speaker at the NFVF Media Day, highlighted key changes in the entry guidelines. These include:
• Any entry that does not follow the entry requirements which results in a dispute will be automatically disqualified.
• Programmes that are self-commissioned and self-published shall not be eligible.
• Eligible screenings now include streaming.
• Content exhibited via subscription-based streaming services (S-VOD, subscription video on demand) in South Africa (e.g. Netflix, Showmax) for the first time between 1 November 2018 and 31 October 2019 are eligible for entry.
• New Category: Entertainment Programme. This category includes quizzes, game shows, talent shows, music shows, music specials, and all general entertainment.
• Reality Show has been separated into 2 categories
- Best Competition Reality Show Award: Awarded to the producer(s) for outstanding achievement in the production and overall success of any programme communicating “real life” situations with a competition element for entertainment purposes, by means of setting out challenges or activities.
- Best Structured or Docu-reality Show Award: Awarded to the producer(s) for outstanding achievement in the production and overall success of any programme communicating “real life” or “life situations” such as the daily activities of a celebrity or resolving issues of ordinary people for entertainment purposes.
• Best Variety Show now includes comedy and talk show.
• Best Wildlife Documentary has been renamed to Natural History and Environmental Programme. There is a craft award at the discretion of the jury for this category.
Submissions will close on Friday, 15 November 2019 at 17h00.
The 14th edition of the SAFTAs will take place in March 2020