In partnership with Refinery Cape Town and the South African Guild of Editors (SAGE), the Encounters South African International Documentary Festival invites South African filmmakers to submit their documentary films for the 2nd Encounters Rough Cut Lab (RCL) to be held in Cape Town from 29 to 31 May 2019.
A maximum of three South African projects, consisting of one director and one editor, whose films are in post-production, will be selected to spend three days working on their film with internationally experienced homegrown editors Megan Gill, Ronelle Loots and Khalid Shamis. Projects will receive world class expertise and insight on story and technical challenges.
Prizes will be generously awarded by The Refinery in the form of free days for Grade or Online.
This call is only open to projects with an assembled rough cut.
- A one-page synopsis maximum.
- A biography of the director and editor.
- A post-production schedule and predicted timeline for completion.
- An online screener link and password to the viewable rough cut.
- A one-page document from the director and another one-page document from the editor outlining the difficulties experienced with the film’s current structure and/or problematic areas in the story.
- A write up of what has been achieved up to this point. No less than five weeks must have been spent in edit prior to the lab.
- Films need to be independently produced, non-commissioned and feature-length – 70 mins or above.
- All available footage accessible on a USB 3, firewire or thunderbolt hard drives.
- Indicate software and software version used.
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Rough Cut Lab in the subject line.
Submissions Deadline: On or before 4pm (South African time), Friday, 19 April 2019.
Any submissions that do not follow the strict submission details and page limitations will be disqualified.
The National Film & Video Foundation (NFVF) will provide travel and accommodation funding for RCL participants living outside of the Western Cape. Participants are responsible for applying for their own funding with the NFVF. SAGE will be available to assist the RCL participants with their applications process if need be.