The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) invites eligible production companies to submit proposals under the theme: The Next 25 Years of Democracy.
This year marks the 25th year of democracy in South Africa and the NFVF will be commissioning four companies to produce one documentary each, to celebrate our achievements as a nation. Reflecting on some of the defining moments that shaped us over the past two decades. The NFVF is looking for fully developed projects that create deep and lasting impressions through a fascinating story, character(s), or cinematic approach.
Documentaries have often been praised for their ability to reflect, enlighten, transform, provoke, and mobilise. With this in mind, the NFVF is looking for contemporary concepts that are solutions driven and reimagine the next 25 years of democracy in SA.
Funding to the value of R750,000 will be awarded for the production of one 48-minute documentary which falls under the theme of ‘The next 25 Years of Democracy’.
Proposals must demonstrate the preservation of South Africa’s history, and most importantly provide solutions to the next generation through a strong premise, critical thinking, and competing views.
Proposals must have a clear central idea, captivating and compelling story, inspiring character(s), a bold visual style and accurate representation of our nation.
The film that is produced out of this initiative will have to meet the NFVF’s requirements for content that informs, educates, entertains and offers unique perspectives of South Africa’s young democracy.
Selection Criteria for Projects
- All proposals must have a strong, written concept for a stand-alone film with a clearly thought out premise or controlling idea;
- The film should NOT focus on profiling a specific political figure;
- Film concepts should aim for objectivity, while still presenting a clear point of view;
- The length of the film should be 48 minutes with the potential for a feature-length production;
- The film must have completed development or be in the early stages of pre-production in order to meet the deadline for September 2019 screenings/broadcast;
- Proposals must include knowledge of target audience;
- Films must have strong distribution potential both locally and internationally, and therefore must have a global appeal;
- The producer must have the ability to deliver on a realistic budget and have the ability to manage the budget;
- The producer must demonstrate a plan to complete and deliver the project by September 2019.
In order for a production company to be considered for this opportunity, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Producers must be South African citizens or a permanent resident of South Africa;
- The applying company must be tier 1 or 2 with a proven track record;
- Preference will be given to female-owned companies;
- 51% black-owned and managed companies with a unique proposal;
- Production company should demonstrate an understanding of packaging and marketing of documentary films;
- Producer or production company to have established relationships with local distributor(s) and/or international sales agent(s).
Who Does Not Qualify
- Previous recipients of NFVF slate funding (animation slate, documentary slates, youth and female filmmaker project recipients are NOT eligible for this fund);
- Individuals and/or production companies that have four active NFVF funded projects across the value chain i.e. development, production, post-production, marketing and distribution, training and festival funding support.
All applications must include:
- 1-page synopsis;
- Visual treatment;
- Detailed outline;
- Character bible/s;
- Consent forms (compulsory requirement);
- CVs of the key creative team (Producer, Director, Writer, DOP editors) with showreel/portfolio of work;
- Budget and proposed production schedule;
- Finance and recoupment plan (if the budget exceeds the allocated amount);
- Marketing and distribution strategy and plan;
- Chain of title documentation;
- Archive list (if applicable);
- BBBEE certificate;
- Original valid tax clearance certificate (valid for 3 months);
- Certified ID copy (valid for 3 months);
- Company registration document.
Failure to submit the above-mentioned documentation will render the application incomplete and therefore disqualified.
All applications must be submitted via the NFVF application portal.
Application queries may be directed to email@example.com
For all content related queries email Yolanda Ncokotwana at firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: 17 February 2019