The Department of Trade and Industry (dti) invites prominent film and television producers to apply for the planned Inward Investment Mission (IIM) to South Africa aimed at promoting co-productions in animated series, feature films, documentaries and television series.
The IIM will also promote South Africa’s film industry landscape and showcase film content, infrastructure, talent and vast shooting locations to international producers. The trade mission is part of the dti’s objective to promote South Africa’s film service offerings, attracting co-production opportunities in order to grow the sector.
An invitation to apply is extended to international film producers, production and broadcasting houses, animation studios and houses, acquisition and distribution companies who are:
- Experienced filmmakers who have a proven track record for developing and producing three to five theatrically released feature films, animation, television fiction and/or non-fiction.
- Sales and distribution houses that have acquired and sold more than three to five theatrical feature films, television fiction and/or non-fiction, plus five short films and/or commercials in the past two years.
Mission Dates: 18 to 23 July 2018
Country: South Africa
Cities: Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban
Selected countries: UK, Netherlands, Germany, Canada and USA
The deadline date for the submission of complete EMIA application forms is 11 May 2018.
Assistance is provided to qualifying international/foreign producers who have projects for the South African market.
The dti will offer the following financial support to qualifying firms:
- Return economy class airfare for one business executive with contracting authority, including domestic air travel in South Africa. (Approved participants can upgrade to business and first class at their own expense)
- Hotel Accommodation that includes dinner, bed and breakfast (excluding alcoholic beverages or any other services of a personal nature).
- Ground transport for the duration of the mission programme
Why participate in this Inward Investment Mission?
South Africa offers excellent value for money and remains far more cost effective to produce content compared to first world countries and also has a diversity of locations which can easily double for these countries. The mission will afford approved companies the opportunity to participate during the Durban International Film Festival (DIFF) 2018, acquire film content, meet potential partners for future film projects, and scout shooting locations for servicing films across Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban.
Application documentation for the Inward Investment Mission:
- Completion of IIM Application form;
- Submission of a detailed company profile for each of the invited companies. A written confirmation of the visitor’s decision-making capability and confirmation that they will be liable to reimburse any costs that may have been incurred should they cancel their participation after flights and accommodation have been booked and paid.
- Passport copies for each of the visiting delegates
For any enquiries pertaining to applications, sector and/or event please contact:
Ms Rosina Nkosi
Telephone: 012 394-3648
Ms Thembakazi Kwinana
Telephone: (021) 023 0917