Following the huge success of last year’s inaugural London to Amsterdam charity cycle ride, 12 cyclists set off at 7h30 am on Monday 3 September to do it all over again, arriving on Tuesday evening in Amsterdam.
The challenge was to ride from the offices of IBC in London 300 miles to the RAI in Amsterdam for the IBC Show, the premier event in the creation, management and delivery of broadcasting media and entertainment.
In 2011, 10 riders raised an incredible £36,000 for Vision Charity, which has gone a long way towards changing the lives of blind and visually impaired children around the country. This year, thanks to extending the invitation to riders outside the media industry, money is also being raised for both Vision and VICTA charity, another UK-based charity creating life opportunities for blind and partially sighted children and young people, as well as support for their parents.
Hollyoaks actor and presenter Matt Littler and British racing driver Tom Chilton are two celebrities taking part in this year’s ride. Littler in particular knows all about how tough cycling can be having recently presented at the Olympics men’s Road Race.
Ciaran Doran, a seasoned veteran of long distance cycling, and one of the 2011 participants said, “Everyone involved has done a marvellous job. Last year was a huge physical and psychological challenge but all of us are very, very happy to have been able to contribute to the Vision and VICTA charities in this way.’
Donations can be made online through www.virginmoneygiving.com (search for IBC under fundraising event) or text vibc11 and the amount to donate (up to £10) to 70070. Every penny raised will be split equally between Vision Charity and VICTA.
The IBC2IBC team would like to thank the following:
- F13 Events – event organisers
- Headline sponsors: Harris and Arri
- Support team sponsor: Liberty Global
- Communication sponsor: Informed Sauce
- Shirt sponsors: Digital Projection, Blackmagic, Quantel, 202 communications, codex, take 2 and Movietech
Other supporters include:
- Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South – hotel partner
- Partnion – finish line sponsor
- Strandzuid – finish line party
- Het Galjoen – accommodation in Bruges
- Media Kinnon’s & Flagtime films – filming and editing
- Garland partners, Live U, Vualto and Alias Hire – supplying the equipment and technology for live streaming
For more information about this event, including a video of last year’s ride, visit www.ibc2ibc.com.