Hot Docs is an internationally renowned documentary film festival, conference and marketing event that takes place annually in Toronto, Canada, where filmmakers from all walks of life are granted the opportunity to showcase their work and strengthen ties in the ever-expanding documentary community. The Doc Shop, which runs concurrently with the festival is a marketplace for documentaries to be viewed by potential buyers, distributors, sales agents and programmers alike.
The National Film and Video Foundation is compiling a South African playlist of documentaries with up to +/- 50 titles for The Doc Shop.
Benefits of having a film in The Doc Shop:
- The Festival Doc Shop is a fully digital, on-site video library that offers the festival delegates (including sales agents/ distributors and broadcaster) access to 1500+ documentaries, including many of the Festival’s official selection.
- Visibility of the film on an international platform.
- The film may receive interest which could potentially lead to sales.
- After the festival and conference, The Doc Shop Online provides year-round access to films for registered buyers, distributors, sales agents and festival programmers.
- South African filmmakers with projects that are currently in the post-production phase (who can provide a rough cut) or completed projects.
- Documentaries of all lengths that have been produced in the last 5 years are welcome.
- Documentaries must be in the English language or subtitled in English.
- Companies may submit more than one project for consideration.
Filmmakers are required to provide the following items in order to be considered (please note that there is no application form):
- Detailed synopsis
- List of key creative team
- A downloadable version of the film, this can be a link.
The NFVF reserves the right to select qualifying films to include in The Doc Shop Playlist. The deadline for all submissions is on 17 April 2018 by end of business; no extensions are permissible.
Email all submissions to Refiloe Hlabioa on email@example.com, with the subject email ‘The Doc Shop Playlist Submission.’